Friday, September 16, 2011

Criminal Record Checks and Twitter...

last week when posting about my 1h down town adventure in winnipeg i wrote about the joys *(and financial burdens) of having a tims on campus at red river college.
this week i had the pleasure of vising 151 princess, which is the public safety building... ie. i visited the cops. it wasn't that i was arriving in handcuffs; i was there to fill out a criminal record check so i could apply for a voluntering/ government grant *(so i can maybe get money for groceries because i spent it all on coffee already). so here are the details...

this weeks hour break: getting a criminal record check
location: 151 princess *(conveniently located right across from my school... a coincidence? i think not!)
why there: it's the only place you can get one done in the city.
budget: who knows... so i brought my credit card :)
spent: $32.50
point of interest: i sat in lines, i filled out forms, i left having spent money, on something that will arrive in hopefully 3-4 weeks.
thoughts and feelings: while sitting in line i began to ponder the meaning of life... and more importantly twitter *(because i had just come from my pr class where we were using it). when twitter first came out i created an account to see what the excitement was all for. i didn't understand why people would want to know 'what i'm doing' right now, especially when i'm watching another episode of greys anatomy, filling up my water bottle, or doing something... unmentionable. as i started to figure out the do's and don't of twitter (to follow and to be followed; to tweet responsibly; to use #wisely) i quickly realized that non of my friends were really on it- they hadn't caught the twitter bug- and my time on twitter quickly turned into stalking others (aka- following).
fast forward to my pr class: we talked about the value of twitter and sharing information; but more importantly what you personally would use a twitter account for. do you use it for fun and sharing the randomness of life? or do you use it as a professional tool? does it share information or is it just to tell a joke? and the big one what's actually worth tweeting.
while i sat waiting to be called i looked around and wondered... do i tweet this? do people care if i'm here doing this? do i mention the conversation i overheard from the two people sitting beside me?! is it even legal to tweet in a police station?
who knows... but what i do know is that twitter for me is summed up in something our pr prof told us ... you can't take it back once you've put it out there...
i use twitter to find out info of what is going on in the world around me, but anything i add to it i want to be useful and interesting to the people who are following me, much like how i want those i follow to do for me.
it was then that i was called next... which was a good thing because the conversation beside me what starting to get good, and i was almost about to abandon my twitter motto.
judgement: if you need a criminal record check 151 is the place to go... and if you want to see what i think is worth twittering... follow me here.



2 comments:

  1. There are some really interesting "overheard" Twitter feeds and blogs you can follow - things overheard on the bus, in restaurants, and I'm sure in police stations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do a lot of overheard/overseen stuff - mostly things that drive me insane: like people hogging bus seats.

    ReplyDelete